Monday, February 2, 2009

Christ's Character


Our Relief Society lesson yesterday was incredible. I don't remember the title or where it was given but it was by Eldar Bednar. I can't even find it on LDS.org. I admit I left feeling quite aweful about myself trying to justify how I am Christ like and how I show charity to others. But when it comes down to it I just need to do a better job.

I gain so much mental strength from challenging myself physically. My grandpa posted the following poem that I have taped to my mirror. It defines so many emotional areas of life that I would love to have complete control of daily. They truly define the character of Christ.

The Criteria of Emotional Maturity

The ability to deal constructively with reality.
The capacity to adapt to change.
A relative freedom from symptoms that are produced by tensions and anxieties.
The capacity to find more satisfaction in giving than receiving.
The capacity to relate to other people in a consistent manner with mutual satisfaction and helpfulness.
The capacity to sublimate, to direct one's instinctive hostile energy into creative and constructive outlets.
The capacity to love.

William C. Menninger, M.D. 1899-1966

2 comments:

Lori said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori said...

I tried giving you the link to the lesson, but it didn't copy right, so I'll try again! It was a very wonderful lesson. He gave it at BYU/Idaho, that's why it's not on lds.org. Go to:
http://www.byui.edu/Presentations/
Transcripts/ReligionSymposium/
2003_01_25_Bednar.htm
Hope it works this time so you can see it all!